Painting a home can be a really affordable and impactful way to make it feel brand new. The national average for painting a typical house is $2,955, but if you hire pros they’ll do it much faster!
Painting the exterior of your home is a great way to make it more attractive to potential buyers. It can also make it more valuable, by improving its curb appeal.
A fresh coat of paint can really rejuvenate your home. Painting a house usually costs $5000-$10,000 depending on the size and complexity, but there are ways to save if you plan ahead and get information from professionals!
Picking up a paint roller and painting your house is an easy way to improve its appearance, marketability & resale value. The average cost ranges from $1847 2 $4168 or about $2,957 on average with the national average around $1.50-3.00 per square foot. We can help you come up with a house painting price estimate. The cost of work varies depending on the factors you’re concerned about, including proximity to your home. The price for a professional house painter to paint your home usually ranges from $25-$75 per hour. Certain factors such as the type of exterior paint you select can also have an effect on this price. Prices for paint can range from $20 to $80, and professionals usually get a discount of 25-50%. If you hire an experienced team and invest in high quality materials, the cost to update your home’s exterior will be worth it in the long-run.
How to Calculate the Cost to Paint a House
Calculating how much it costs to paint a house will let you know what to expect from a professional estimate and stay on budget. To find out the approximate costs, divide the paintable area by the coverage of a gallon of paint. You can also calculate it using square footage or by estimating how many cans of paint are needed for your painting project.
- Find the finished area. Measure the perimeter of the house and multiply it by the height of the house.
- Find the paintable area. Subtract the area of doors (a standard door is 21 square feet) and windows (the standard window is 12 square feet) from the finished area total. If there are balconies, gables, or complex and ornate architectural designs, a professional will give you an accurate estimate.
One gallon of paint can typically cover between 250 and 400 square feet, or 350 square feet on average. Keep in mind that it takes two coats of paint to cover the exterior of your home. For example, an average 2,500-square-foot home has about 2250 square feet of paintable space. The formula for calculating the cost to paint a house is:
- Square feet of paintable area/square feet of paint coverage = gallons of paint x 2 = total gallons of paint needed.
- For example: 2,100/350 = 6 x 2 = 12
- 2,100 square feet of paintable area divided by 350 square feet of coverage equals 6 gallons of paint. Double that number since you’ll need two coats. This comes out to 12 gallons of paint.
Factors in Calculating Cost to Paint a House
When trying to decide how much it will cost to paint your home, factoring in the surface area that can be painted is important. In addition, you’ll need to consider things like where the house is located and what type of paint you’re using. It’s also a smart idea to prepare any surfaces that will be affected by the paint before starting work. The cost to paint a house ranges from $1,747 to $4,168 with an average of about $2,957. This is equivalent to around $.50 per square foot. An average house might cost around $250,000. While your local area may affect material costs, the below steps should help you decide on a budget and to save some money.